Posts tagged: Westminster

The Tideway: a Mecca for rowing

By , 27th March 2010 11:20

Before the Redgrave era, the Oxford & Cambridge Boat Race was virtually the only rowing ever seen on British television.  First contested at Henley-on-Thames in on 12 March 1829, the Boat Race moved to a stretch of the tidal Thames between Putney and Mortlake in 1845.

This is Matt Pincent’s 2011 Guide to the Boat Race Course.

Today, this 4 mile 374 yard stretch – sometimes referred to as ‘the Championship Course’ but more commonly as ‘the Tideway’ – is now the home waters of more than 40 rowing clubs and also plays host to ten races in the spring and autumn that attract hundreds of crews, thousands of rowers – both male and female of all ages – and every boat class from all over the UK – and further afield.

View The Tideway: a Mecca for rowing in a larger map

First staged on 10 August 1830 – in the year after the first Boat Race – the Wingfield Sculls is a side-by-side ‘match’ race for the title of  Amateur Sculling Champion of the Thames and Great Britain.   Instigated as a wager by barrister Henry Wingfield, the race was initially held between Westminster and Putney before moving to the Championship Course from Putney to Mortlake in 1861.

A womens race was established in 1929 which, with the exception of the two world wars, was contested until the early 1970s.  It was re-instigated in 2007.  Now raced in early November, the 2009 races were won by British Olympians Alan Campbell and Sophie Hosking.

Steve Fairbairn, a four-times Cambridge blue (1882-3, 1886-7) and subsequently a highly influential coach, founded the Head of the River Race in 1926.  Famous for his maxim that ‘mileage makes champions’, Fairbairn conceived of the HORR as a target to aim for during the long hours of endurance training that make up the average oarsman’s winter.

Twenty three eights entered the first Head of the River Race on 12 December 1926 although only 21 made it to the water.  Raced as a time trial – or ‘processional race’ – on the ebb tide from Mortlake to Putney, victory went to London Rowing Club in a time of 20 min 1 sec.   The race grew steadily until, for logistical and safety reasons, the entry was capped at 420 eights around 1980.  The 3780 competitors range cover the entire spectrum from complete novice to World and Olympic Champions.

Appropriately for an event that marks the end of winter training, it usually takes place on the Saturday of the weekend that marks the start of British Summer Time.  Molesey Boat Club took the honours in the 2010 event.  DRC Hanover’s second crew, who finished 307th out of the 388 finishers, can take some pride from the fact that their time of 19 mins 59.2 secs would have won the very first race!

A women’s eights race between Mortlake and Putney was first staged in 1927.  Initially contested by Ace and Weybridge Ladies Amateur Rowing Club racing side-by-side, the two clubs returned for a rematch in 1928 and were joined by Alpha in a three boat race in 1929.  With five entries, the Womens Eights Head of the River Race adopted the time trial format in 1930.  Now held two weeks before the HORR in early March, entries have reflected the massive growth in womens rowing generally expanding from 27 in 1977 to 270 in 2003.

289 crews finished the 2009 race which was won by a composite of GB national squad oarswomen stroked by multi-Olympic medalist Kath Grainger.  With the snappy crew name of  Gloucester/Imperial College/Marlow/Reading University/Thames/University of London, the winning crew recorded a time of 18 mins 10.67 secs.

School and junior crews get the chance to race over the Championship Course in the Schools Head held on a weekday around the Womens’ Head determined by the tides and academic calender.  Founded by Westminster School in 1946, 17 crews took part in the inaugural race, four sank and the event was deemed a great success!  Originally a race for eights from London Corinthians Sailing Club to Westminster School Boat House, fours were admitted quite quickly and quads joined the party in 1987.

In the late 1980s, the course was lengthened – by moving the start up-river to the Bandstand – and subsequently split into two with a long start at the Mortlake end of the Championship Course and a short start remaining at Corinthians. Entries mushroomed, reaching a peak of around 390, making it necessary introduce measures to limit entries to around 300 crews on safety grounds.  In 2010 the short course was dropped and all crews now race over the full Championship Course.

While entries are still dominated by the traditional rowing schools, the much broader participation base of British rowing has been reflected in a steady rise in entries – and category wins – from state schools and junior crews from non-school rowing clubs.  256 crews completed the course in 2010.

The Scullers Head of the River Race – for single sculls – was established by Vesta Rowing Club in 1954.  Raced at the end of November over the full Championship Course from Mortlake, Jamie Kirkwood of Imperial College led home the 418 finishers in a time of 20 minutes 55.38 secs in the 2009 race.

The first Fours Head of the River was raced in 1955 as the Tradesmen’s Rowing Club’s Association Head of the River Fours.  At the time, watermen and other people who worked with their hands were not considered to be truly ‘amateur’ by the Amateur Rowing Association and so raced under the auspices of the a separate governing body – the National Amateur Rowing Association.

Initially raced between Chiswick Steps and Putney Pier, the Fours Head was extended to the full Championship Course from Mortlake in 1990.  Now held in mid November, the event is open to quad sculls, coxless and coxed fours. Even though entries are limited to 550 crews, the Fours Head remains the largest single race in British rowing.   Sponsored by brewers Fuller Smith and Turner, the chance to attend the prize giving at the Griffin Brewery has become an additional incentive for competitors!

In 1982, Vesta added another date to the rowing calender when it established the Vesta Veterans’ International Eights Head of the River RaceVeteran crews – to be known as ‘Masters’ from the 2010 regatta season – compete in categories determined by the average ages of the eight rowers.

Raced on the Sunday morning of the HORR weekend in March, the direction of the course is determined by the tide tables.  When raced from Mortlake, it is raced over the full Championship Course.  When raced on the flood tide – in the same direction as the Boat Race as in 2010 – the race starts from Hammersmith Bridge to provide sufficient space above Putney Bridge to marshal the typical entry of around 200 crews in safety.  199 crews finished the 2010 race including six Vet G/H crews containing rowers aged over 70.

The Pairs Head of the River, which also accommodates double sculls, was first staged in 1971 and is raced in mid October over a ‘short’ course of 4,000 metres between Mortlake and Hammersmith Bridge.  372 crews finished the 2009 race.

Veterans also have the chance to race between Mortlake and Putney in fours and quads in the mid November Veterans Fours Head of the River.

Fairbairn’s contribution to both the Head and the Boat Race is commemorated on the Surrey towpath.  The monument is the first mile marker for the Boat Race (and Wingfield Sculls) – or the start of the final exhausting mile for competitors in most of the head races.

It’s not only oarsmen and sailors who compete over the Championship Course.  Every Easter weekend, hundreds of very weary canoeists traverse the course as they approach the finish of the 125-mile long Devices to Westminster International Canoe Marathon – the world’s longest annual canoe event.

The Doggett’s Coat & Badge

By , 20th August 2009 11:07
World's oldest sporting event

World’s oldest sporting event

As an oarsman, for many years I’ve been aware of the claim that the Doggett’s Coat & Badge is the oldest, continuously-contested, sporting event still contested in the world today.

Thomas Doggett (c1640 – 1721) was an Irish-born comic actor who trod the boards at the Theatre Royal, Drury Lane.  Later, he became involved in managing the theatre before moving on to the Theatre Royal Haymarket around the time of its opening in 1720.

During years of commuting by river from his home in Chelsea to Westminster, Doggett developed an interest in the skills of the watermen who had been providing the most efficient means of moving passengers and goods around London for several centuries.  (London’s watermen have been regulated since an Act of Parliament passed in 1555 that created the Company of Watermen.)

In 1715, to commemorate the first anniversary of the accession of George I and the House of Hanover, Doggett organised a race for young London watermen who had recently completed their apprenticeships.   The race, for a prize of a scarlet 18th century waterman’s coat with a silver badge on the arm and white breeches, was staged on 1 August.  The start was at the White Swan near London Bridge with the finishing line at the Old Swan, near Cadogan Steps in Chelsea – a distance of four miles seven furlongs.

Swan Pier, Doggett, London

Swan Pier near London Bridge, close to the site of the White Swan Inn

The race became an annual event – organised by Doggett himself until his death in 1721.  (He is burried in St John’s churchyard, Eltham High Street.)

In his will, Doggett instructed his executors to endow the race in perpetuity.  Perhaps shrewdly, the executors offered an endowment of £300 to encourage the Company of Fishmongers to take over the staging of the race.

Initially raced against the tide on August 1st, the rules have subsequently been modified so that now the contestants row with the strongest tide.  Now managed by the Company of Watermen,  today the race is staged on a date in July determined by the time of high tide.  The 296th race took place on 10 July 2009.   Sadly, the race achieved no detectable media coverage apart from a posting – since disappeared – on the Thames Rowing Club website.  Is this lack of interest a throw-back to the historic resistance to professionalism of a rowing establishment dominated for so long by the public schools and universities?  Or just another example of the challenge the so-called “minority sports” face when trying to compete against football for column inches?

These barriers are breaking down.  Watermen are no longer prohibited from competing in domestic rowing events.  Indeed, Mark Hunter, winner of an Olympic Gold medal in the lightweight doubles in Beijing and silver medalist at London 2012, is himself a qualified waterman and freeman of the Thames. He was elected as a Steward of Henley Royal Regatta in 2013.

In 2000, as an apprentice, Mark competed in, and won, the Millennium Coat and Badge race for double sculls made up of a freeman sculling with an apprentice.  Sadly, circumstances conspired to prevent Mark from racing in the Doggett’s Coat and Badge – he was too old by the time he passed his final exams.  Mark’s younger brother, and fellow member of Leander Club – a one-time bastion of archetypal English amateurism – did win the Coat & Badge in 2006.

The Race now has its own website which includes a listing of all the known winners since 1716.

Reflecting its links with the commercial life of the River Thames, the Watermen’s Company and Port of London Authority feature the event on their websites.

View Doggett’s Coat & Badge in a larger map

http://visionxweb.com/scz-62784/ More... More features acirceurocent printer-friendly version Acircnbsp uterine fibroids definition uterine fibroids are noncancerous (benign) tumors that develop in the uterus (womb), a female reproductive organ. 0 out of 5 stars uterine fibroids december 7, 2007 by papiyawn format: paperback i highly recommend this book to anyone diagnosed with a uterine fibroid and especially to those whose doctors suggest they have a medical procedure done! This will give you the knowledge you need, that your doctor may not fully explain, in order to make an informed decision that could effect your entire life. ntolmie.com/kyn-69222/ rifugiolusia.it/admin/immagini/_vti_cnf/principles.php?xmt=69337 Through a tiny nick in the skin, the doctor inserts a soft plastic catheter into an artery near the patient's hip. http://debantees.com/rxt-65456/ 0 out of 5 stars uterine fibroids december 7, 2007 by papiyawn format: paperback i highly recommend this book to anyone diagnosed with a uterine fibroid and especially to those whose doctors suggest they have a medical procedure done! This will give you the knowledge you need, that your doctor may not fully explain, in order to make an informed decision that could effect your entire life. Webmd does not provide medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. http://felthamsalvationarmy.org/nra-60848/ mundosportmotor.es/mvg-61383/ Bull panchakarma : the most natural way to clean the body bull replace your cup and feel good bull herbs and spices for raynauds disease sufferers raquo view all nbsp herbal remedies for uterine fibroids do they have merit? posted oct 03 2010 2:26am so how do herbal remedies for uterine fibroids work? natural herbs and potions are often scoffed at in medical circles but the truth is that everything we eat has an effect on our bodies good and bad. viagra amazon co uk acirceuroldquo dr. Sinai school of medicine have identified reliable predictors... 1993 nov 25 329(22):1602-7. 91 kb 14. viagra results

Panorama Theme by Themocracy